Friday 11 February 2011

Kanchanaburi - Part 3, Thai Massages Hurt


You bet your ass I slept in today. Tossing and turning through the morning I woke up several times from the sun shining in through my thin curtains. Each time I fell back to sleep. Check out wasn't until midday. I have no idea what plans are for the rest of the day, there are things I want to see around the town, mostly various museums.

Knock! Knock!

Urg. Yea... I'm awake. "Nick, I'm going to get a massage, do you want one?"

What went through my mind was something like, I feel sore and I ache all over. My feet and legs feel like death and my arms... I can hardly lift them. A massage would actually be amazing. Okay, lets do it!

No time for breakfast, just heading straight out there. Walked passed some impressive Wats and a museum. Will check those out on the way back. Find what we think is the recommended place, but it's closed. After asking a few people, we give up and head back. I was really looking looking forward to that. So we made our way back. Had a glance at the Wat, but were not wearing appropriate cloths and felt a little bad for it, so decided to enjoy from a distance. Then went to one of the museums. This one was a recreation of an old POW hut that held British POW's as they built the famous death railway. It was filled with pictures, news paper articles, paintings, letters and photo's that span the 65/70 years since the war.

It was very moving in parts and brought back memories of the museum in Hiroshima. There were some horrible stories. The museum also included smaller huts with old items from the war, helmets, weapons, working tools, uniforms and a lot more. It was small, but very interesting.

We slowly made our way back to the guest house, where we told the guy who worked there that it was closed. He was surprised and called them up, finding out that they were now open. So he gave us a lift on his bike. This was my first bike ride... ever (I think! I can't remember any others). My sandal fell off just as we were pulling up, that was fun!

Inside Vanessa decided she wanted a two hour massage, even thought check out was in one hour. The owner said it was fine, and two hours it was.

A traditional Thai massage is not like... well... what I thought it would be. I thought it would be... well... the relaxing kind, that lets you relax and feel good. Nope. Not a Thai massage. Thai massage seemed to work on the theory of 'if we hurt you, your body heals you, and you feel better'. My god it hurt. Why did I agree to two hours of this? The foot part of the massage, and scalp/head/ears (lol... yes ears) was very nice. But everything else... oh my god. It really hurt. And left me feeling far worse that before I entered the building.

Everything after that was rushed as we quickly made our way back to the guest house, packed and had to get to the coach station quick. A second ride on the motorbike, I don't like these. I had my bag and felt very unstable. But the guy was amazing, so friendly and helpful. He literally dropped us off at the coach we needed to get.

The coach took us to the same place as a few days before for the changeover. We had to get a coach up to Hin Kong (near the village). At this stop over we realised something... it was Bangkok. So we had done some serious extra travelling to get here, probably some 40% extra going out of the way compared to other places. Didn't cost much though. Five hours or so on coaches came to less then two quid.

After we got back to Hin Kong we checked out some food markets, and ate some real food. We bought some food to take back to the room for the next few days, but most of it was shut down and had been sold. After a couple of hours shopping and looking around, we got a lift from the director of the school back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment