Tuesday 8 March 2011

The ruins of Ayutthaya - Part 3, Closed for the Kings Birthday??

The heat in this country really does kill it. By the end of the day we were both exhausted. I had my heart set on a western style dinner. Give me a steak, a burger, chips! The works! That's what I want for dinner tonight. The hotel we were staying in did do these meals. Western meals with western prices. Expensive for Thailand. But oh well. I want this burger. I want those chips. I'll pay. So I got the food, as did Vanessa. But the food was cold. It took forever to arrive and when it did it was cold. I wasn't going to let this bother me... but Vanessa wasn't having any of it. We sent it back and another long wait. It was reheated and came back a little warmer. I didn't care. I was hungry, it was a cheese burger and chips. Nothing shall get between us now.

The next day we headed out to find that floating market again. We headed further down a long path that seemed to lead to nowhere, but there were a lot of cars heading down. We first came across an elephant circus, which left me feeling very uncomfortable. I don't mind riding them if they seem happy and it's something that will help pay for their upkeep. But this is just not something I'm okay with because of the sorts of things they were doing. If you know me, you know I'm not massive animal rights person at all. I'm more of the kind of person that I imagine most of you are, something just seem wrong and this was one of them. Carrying on down the road we found the floating market!

I was not what we expected. Firstly it was a tourist thing. Not a traditional floating market that has turned touristy over the decades, but it was built up to cater for tourists, both national and international. Secondly, it was closed! Closed! They were doing a massive refurbishment and nothing was open market wise. You could walk around and get a general idea of what it will look like when it's all open. It does look amazing, even too good. There were various bridges across the 'rivers' and the main central one had a giant English postbox on it. No idea why. It was far to big to be of any use, especially considering the average height of the country. This box was some 9 feet tall. Silly really.

Disappointed, we headed back to the hotel. From there we organised a lift to a real floating market that supposed to be next to the coach station. So we can explore the market and then jump on a coach back to the school.

Today, as I've mentioned in other posts, is the Kings Birthday. It's a national holiday and there are many celebrations going on all over the country. Everywhere is busy for the weekend, and we have tomorrow (Monday) off from school. We needed to get back to the school for 7pm to make sure we are on time to take part in the school and villages celebrations.

But instead of visiting the market, we were taken straight to the coach station and put straight on a minivan (a packed one that people moved for us to sit down in, very nice!) I'll let it go. It is already getting a little late. We get back to the school after a three hour drive at just after 4pm. I get a haircut and a cut-throat shave, oh and a fifteen minute scalp massage for 70 Baht (less than £1.50). Then we get a lift back to the school after buying a bit of food and drink from the shops and markets.
We shower and get ready for the night, and are taken out to get some food before it all starts. From about half five the perpetrations begin. The young kids are all dressed up in an incredibly over the top manner (see pictures). The older kids are dressed up as Thai boxers and use black pen to draw on 'tattoos' and facial hair. Was a lot of fun helping with the preparations and I loved it. Got a few pictures of the kids and with the kids.
Once everyone was ready we headed out, across the road to the local Wat. There was a stage and a lot of locals there. The shows that were put on were various dance routines and singing. We were welcomed by the locals and given prime spot to the side of the stage. Just after it began Ben arrived. He was back from his holiday and he brought... yup... fireworks! This is a good night! As the show came to what felt like a sudden end we were given candles and candle holders and light and make prayers to the king with. The wat quickly emptied, and me and Ben set off the fireworks! Nothing went wrong this time after a "I hold this yes?!" episode.
The night itself ended early, was all over before 9pm. So we walked through the village and bought some beer. Eventually we headed back to the room and to bed. Tomorrow Ben will be taking us around Lopburi and to some Wats around the province.

No comments:

Post a Comment