Saturday 8 January 2011

The Best Laid Plans


What days have been.

Great send off. School was a non-uniform day, so I dressed down too. Wore my new Thai shirt and jeans. Began with saying goodbye in morning... assembly I guess you would call it. Then there were big preperations. I'll post the pics up when I get home. As a sending off, to make sure I have good luck and saftey on my travels there was like a 'mass' harvest festival type thing. The monks from the temple came and kids and teachers and family all donated food. It will be redistrubuted to the poorest in the area.

Then there was a present exchange, every kid brought in a present and names were drawn from a hat and gifts were exchanged. I gave my last big bottle of fanta and 200Baht.

I haven't unwrapped mine yet. Saving it for the train to Chiang Mai since I think it is some kind of food.

Then lunch. Duck. Oh yes, probably my favorite meat. Was so good. Along with ice cream. Then it was time for some playing, in the play area and just around school for the rest of the afternoon. I got some 400 pictures haha. Going to miss this place.

School ended suddenly, none of the usual lining up that normaly goes with it. My plan was pretty simple; go to Chiang Mai then come back to Saraburi for the 'English Camp' that was being set up. However I was informed the english camp was no longer on as there were not enough volunteers comming that week. I thought tho it would still be nice to come back and see everyone a final time... plus I could leave all my stuff here and not have to lug it around Chiang Mai.

So I packed up my bag and got a lift to Lopburi, to get the train. The train was delayed, each time it was just one more hour. Until 5 hours late it was cancelled. II had to wait for the morning train. I knuckle down to get a kip. Not sure what time it was, but I woke up to find a monkey rumaging through my bag!!! It stole what little food I had left and ran off when I sat up quickly, realising what was going on. I spent the rest of the night wide awake!

When it arrived though it wasn't too bad, seats were not amazing but luckily it was air con, which eventually turned the whole train cold. The journey, plaged with delays, was supposed to be 9 hours, 10.30am to 7.30pm. I didn't arrive in Chiang Mai until 10pm. The guesthouse I'd booked, and had been unable to inform on my latness, was locked up and I trolled the streets to find another.

Eventually finding one open with a room, I settled down. 300 baht for the night. Not really ouch in the wider scheme of things, 6 quid a night, but 3 times more then I was hoping to be paying!

Its too late to bother with anything, I am beyond tired and ache all over. I need to head back to the train station to book my ticket home because the ticket office was closed tonight.

Hopefuly I'll post this tonight... if this place has internet (just had a shower and am chillin as I write this).

Today was a good day, just a long and tiring one. If you know me, you know I love to be on any kind of long journey. I'm just feeling the effects haha. But no, fun times will be had here. The temperature is cool and it was even raining. Something that has only happened once before in my 2 months here! I like it already! Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment