Tuesday 11 January 2011

Chiang Mai


So I got up and headed off to the guesthouse I booked for the night before. They had kept my room (well bed). I checked out of JJ and into DIVA (lol at the name). I didn't have a room, I have a bed in the dorm. Felt a little dubious about it to be honest. But maybe I'll meet people I thought. Booked my VIP 700 baht recliner massage chairs bus back to Bangkok for Tuesday night. That is going to be sweet.

Had a wonder round the area and found the best sign ever; "Internet massage". No need for further comments. Went back to the guesthouse for a shower and booked a trek for tomorrow.

Headed back out with an idea of where I'm going; mostly some Wats. There were some stunning buildings. Also got a foot massage and pedicure. Very nice. Came back to the guesthouse where I met some people. A nice group, and after a few hours of chatting we grabbed some food and headed out for a brew.

The brew was at the top of a building, sky roof thing, was amazing and got some great pictures. A little expensive tho, like a quid for a whiskey. Then spent the night wondering around a night market. Got a few trinkets, including all of us getting sketches of ourselves. They were all hilarious but mine was considered the best. It is a cracking drawing... its just not a drawing of me. Its me if I was in my 50's. Very funny.

On the way back there were darth vadar impressions, Mark said "Elly, I am your father." and she replied "I don't think that's possible." I said "Elly, my picture is your father." Good times haha.

Tomorrow I'm up at 7am to get breakfast before I am picked up for the trek at 8. Its already 1am and I really need to go to sleep!

7am alarm wakes me up. Climb out of bed, get a shower and head out for breakfast. Get a pancake and french toast. Was very good. I miss western breakfasts! Head back and waited for my ride for the trek.

So I get picked up and head out. We pick up some more people and have a group of 9. First we go to a... flower garden with butterflies. Got some good pictures but was a little dull. Very few butterflies. Then to the elephants. Much better elephant ride than in Kanchanaburi. Even got to feed it. Was class.

Then we headed onwards to the village with the long necked people, who wear the rings to elongate their necks. I missed half the story behind why, so I'll look it up online later. The village itself was stunning though. Set in a perfect jungle mountain back drop with leaves for tiles on the roofs and buffaloes lounging in the water.

Next was a long ass trek through a jungle to a waterfall. Dripping with sweat as it took about an hour and a half. After finally arriving I was at first impressed. The waterfall was big. But the pool wasn't deep like the last one. Came up to about the knees. I went in though. Got out and dried and put on my change of cloths (oh yes... prepared). Then trekked all the way back.

Got in the bus/van and went to the rafting. Was white water rafting and because it wasn't the rainy season there were only a few rapid moments. The instructor was very funny though. He kept making jokes about crocodiles and what to do when they attack. Saying things like its his first day because the last guy was eaten yesterday. He then splashed everyone in the raft. My new cloths got soaked. Got a good picture of me moments before I nearly fell out the boat. After the rubber raft we got onto some bamboo rafts. On the bamboo rafts the instructor made them sink very low, up to out waists and said "No sinking, no fun!".

I spent the hour and a half drive home in my towel since I had no dry cloths anymore. And it wasn't inside a van, it was basically sitting in the back of a pick-up truck. So I got cold. My feet really hurt since a lot of walking had to be done barefoot. They were numb and I was drained of energy.

On the drive back everyone was talking about going for a massage and I thought "two in two days? A bit much... maybe I will pass...". Then I got to my guesthouse! I walk in, in my towel, still soaked, and the woman who ran it said "Nick! You want a massage? Don't forget you get one free massage."

God has been watching over me on this trip. I grabbed a hot shower and headed straight over. Was the same place I went the day before. I got two of them, they were doing a foot each because they remembered me. I was a happy bunny. Technically got 2 hours worth of work out of them.

I got a pizza for dinner, was pretty good. And an early night tonight. Booked a cooking course that starts at 8.30 tomorrow. Another early morning!

Fall out of bed. My bed is the top bunk. It hurt. Good wake up call though. After feeling like a complete fool I get ready for the day. I realise that I'm infact checking out before the cooking thing at 8.30 and its 8.15 so I jump to packing and getting ready.

Ten minutes to pack up and I'm ready to check out. I come out of the room with a warm greeting of "don't worry, we can sort all that out later, after you finish cooking we can do everything then." Well I rushed for nothing.

I get picked up and taken to the course. Get to cook 6 dishes and make a curry paste. We went to a local market and got shown what all the ingredients were and stuff. I asked the woman (in Thai) leading it if she could recommend some dried chillies. Had a conversation in Thai that went something like;

Instructor; You speak Thai? (son-ta-maa Thai)
Me; No, I know a little. (mai, nik noy)
What kind of chillies do you want? Spicy? (prik roop baep? pet ron?)
Yes, spicy chillies please (chai, prik pet cup)
You like spicy food? (ahh han prik pet chen?)
No my friend likes. I like little spice (mai, mit pet ron. chan chen nik noy)
(arrive at a stand) The small chillies are very spicy. (prik nik noy pet ron cha pour)
Thank you. How much is a bag? (kob corn cup, tao rai?)
Two baht. (song baht)
Two baht?? Two?? 2?? Wow. Thank you. (song baht??? song?? Two? Wao. Cob corn cup)

Oh yes. I am very happy with that. Later when she asked me if I was full (imm) I was able to say no, I'm comfortable (my, spi spi). And then at the end of the day when she asked me if I enjoyed the food I was able to say the food was really good, but now I am very full (meuwan gan arroy mak mak, chan imm). Not bad for knowing nothing 2 months ago.

So on with the cooking. Firstly, we cooked noodles, I chose pad thai, was actually very good I was very happy with it. Then we did appetizers, I did a spring roll. Was again, very nice. Then we made curry pastes. Had a break and did some big cooking. Did a soup, I did a coconut soup. Then we did a stir fry, I did a chicken and cashew nut stir fry. Then desert, banana in coconut milk. Then, finally, the curry.

Ate the feast, it was all so dam tasty and well worth the 10 quid it cost. Got a recipe book free too and headed back to the guesthouse. Just before I left was able to say thank you, thank you for helping with the chillies, nice to meet you and goodbye (cob-corn-cup, cob corn gaan chuay prik cup, dj-maa suwadee cup).

Back at the guesthouse I checked out, had a final wonder around and chilled while waiting for the bus to Bangkok, picking me up from the guesthouse.

2 comments:

  1. "On the way back there were darth vadar impressions, Mark said "Elly, I am your father." and she replied "I don't think that's possible." I said "Elly, my picture is your father." Good times haha." -this is hilarious, indeed it was- good times! :P x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to be able to like your comment haha

    ReplyDelete