Thursday 14 April 2011

More Camping - Part 2, Serious amount of mud, more fire and a Hippo dance

Four in the morning? What was I thinking. I said I'd do it. Get up. Get up! I crawled out of bed and headed on to the field where the kids were gathering. Not a single other teacher was up. It was all the camp staff. Great. We did some exercises that were silly and fun. Then we did the run. It wasn't a really long one, maybe a kilometre. I cheekily took a break half way through to just pretend like I was rounding up the kids and making sure non were lost... on this completely straight and open path... yea. Non of them bought it.

I got showered and went back to bed. I was woken up for breakfast, and after breakfast it was back to the square. More silly dancing. More fun and games. Then the kids moved off after about an hour or so in their groups to do marches, knot making and other scout-like activities. I was placed at the knot making area.

Formation!


They cycled through so each group did every activity. Then it was lunch time. There was a TV (amazing!!) at the hut where we ate lunch. The news was on showing a football game. A fight broke out between several players and people got in to stop it. Then more people got involved, then police, then the crowed started invading the pitch. The camera concentrated on one guy, wearing normal cloths who looked like a normal guy from the crowed. He was running up and punching players. Eventually one threw him to the ground. As he landed he suddenly pulled out a gun. Everyone backed off. Then the police joined him, like they were on his side. Helped him up, and he just carried on waving it at random people. No idea what actually happened. But was very strange!

After lunch was probably the most fun ever. Muddy activities in groups. Work as a team and individuals. I was at the tyre, they had to jump up and climb through the tyre. Some of them were to short to even reach, so watching the work together was very sweet! There were lots of others that I went to to look at, and got lots of great pictures (all below).

My station!

My favourite station...

...and this is why

Another good one!

No mud... but looks like a lot of fun!

More serious team work going on here

Don't want to many people crossing at a time... it DOES go under the water!

Too much fun!

A real team player!

Lol... mud all over her face

Pandetta!! I'm not going to miss this picture opportunity! Haha

The mud tunnel. Most of them slipped on fell on the mud getting out...

...like this little guy

No showers... just a giant bath!

Afterwards people showered, because there was a lot of mud, and then had dinner. After dinner everyone chilled out and worked on little plays and dances to do... at some point. I could not help with this, at all. I had no idea what was going on. So I did the only logical, sensible, staying out of the way thing I could do.

Why are they giving me funny looks? (other then the camera)

I spent the next three hours chilled out on a hammock and having the kids fetch me things like my iPod, drinks, fruit ext.

It's because I couldn't be more chilled out!

The sun went down and there was a huge show put on. The camp gathered around a giant fire, special dignatory guests came and had special seats, it was all very 'big big'. The kids did their shows, did their dances...

Fire! Dance! Funny costume!


And then I was called up.

"Me?"

"Nick!! Hippo!"

Oh great. Want to see the hippo dance? Enjoy.

Ready....

Boomba!

Boomba!!

And then a funny, slightly gay, twirl

The night winds down, there is a lot of dancing like a fool for a long time. Kids seem to love it, can't get any of the teachers to join in so I look nice and silly. So, is that the end of the night? No. I get invited into the Directors tent, the one with like 5 directors. They are playing cards, gambling (highly illegal) and drinking. They invite me to play. A late night was had, and another 4am start is not on the 'cards' tomorrow! (Oh yea! Badass pun there!)

No comments:

Post a Comment