Saturday 21 May 2011

A busted laptop

So my laptop finally just completely gave up on me. I took it in to an Asus repair centre and they fixed it pretty sharpish. I finally got it back and I have lots to update so this is going to be a flying tour. For more details I will be updating this post with links to vlogs and photo albums.

So we begin with my long, 5 day weekend. On Friday I spent the day checking out the local area, the local village because I've only really seen it in the evening and at night so far, so I did some exploring and then spent most of the afternoon at the shop that one of the people I know works in with her family.

The entrance from the main road to the local 'village'

On Saturday I headed out and around the local area, checking out the market near the school in more detail. It was huge and took a good couple of hours to walk all around. I went further afield past the market and found some malls with cinemas within walking distance of the school.

On Sunday I took my laptop in. I went to get it checked and get a repair quote for the insurance. But they told me it was in waranty and there was an official repair centre nearby. We took a van over there and I dropped it off. It turned into an all day thing and we didn't get back until eight in the evening.

Monday rolled around and I went into Bangkok. I got the Mazda Bus to the main port, and got a boat into the city. I love boats, and it only cost 17 Baht, 34p, and took about half an hour. I looked around a few markets and temples. At one of the temples I started talking to someone who told me that this was a national holiday to promote tourism. A load of temples and other sights were free and there was a special deal on government Tuk-tuks. They drove you around to all the places but the government paid for them, so it only cost 20baht (40p) for however long you used it. So I visited several places, including a very tall Buddha, a lucky Buddha and a central Wat that was just stunning. By the time I got home my feet were killing me, I was so exhusted and fell asleep around nine o'clock. I was going to be getting up early to head to the local temple to see the monks and give food and flowers. But at eleven I got a phone call that woke me. People were heading to Fun Park after temple and they invited me along. I said I'd love to, but I didn't get back to sleep until 2am!

Tuesday I got up nice and early and headed to the village. I had my food and flowers ready to give, and partook in the ceremony. It was incredible busy but I found it really interesting. Afterwards we piled into a truck and headed off to 'Siam Land'. It was a theme park and a water park. It was a lot of fun, we swam for about three hours and then headed into the theme park. After just 1 ride on a roller coaster I remembered how old I am and felt very ill. It's a far cry from the days when nothing made me feel ill at a theme park!


After that weekend school started again and I started teaching some real classes. I had a lot of fun teaching them, especially as always the older groups. But the younger groups will be very difficult, but I like a good challenge. This weekend is going to be thrown open to try and create some lesson plans, both short and long term with specific goals for each class.

As great as it is to have my laptop back, they replaced the hard drive and reinstalled windows - a Thai version of windows, so I can't read everything and all the internet it automatically in Thai too. So not sure how difficult this will be in the future!! Eak! So going to see about running a windows update to change it all to English!

No comments:

Post a Comment