Saturday 7 May 2011

Settling In

At about 1 in the morning I was woken by very sudden, very heavy rain. It quickly turned into a storm that lasted several hours. The thunder never seemed to stop, it just got quieter for a bit, before another massive “boom!” I tried to get back to sleep, I nodded on and off with the storm waking me up each time there was a loud bang for the next three hours.

I was woken at about half nine and was told that I would be meeting one of the directors today. At around midday they decided to take me into the school, but the director never came. I met another teacher there, and stayed with her and Suvanna’s daughters and another student. We went around the area and to the mall.

In the mall we went to the cinema to watch what I thought was going to be a comedy, but it turned out to be some kind of horror film. Really weird, people died and their ghosts would drive others to kill each other and then they would haunt the rest of the villagers. Was very jumpy but not scary.

Prices were so cheap. It’s about 50 Baht to the pound, a ticket cost 30 baht and a combo deal, two large drinks and a large popcorn, cost 55 baht. After the cinema we left the mall and headed back to the neighbourhood. I was told to go to the Wat and get some pictures of the river. Some of them came out really nicely. Then I headed back to the internet cafe to get a hold of some documents and send for some for the schools tomorrow. After a blast online I headed back home, we chilled and watched TV.




Three people live in this house. It’s really small, I really don’t know where everyone sleeps and feel a little bad as they have given me my own room. But it’s Suvanna’s daughter who lives here with her two daughters. I can’t begin to describe how friendly they are. I am writing this blog as we watch TV and they do homework, I’m helping them with their English spelling (I’m probably not the best person for that!!) and I’m going to shower and head to bed soon since it will be a much earlier day tomorrow.

Over the last couple of day’s we’ve been out into the surrounding provinces to looks at schools and rooms. The schools have all be really nice, but the rooms have all had some kind of problem. They are also in really isolated areas. As much as I was fine with the small village last time, this time I want to be near the action, to be able to move around without needed to get someone to drive me, and all the places we’ve looked at have just been like that.




The walkway to one of the rooms

Yesterday evening we headed back to Bangkok and looked at one of the schools nearby, about a 10 minute bus journey away from the suburb I’m staying in now. It was a great school and we had a good talk. They offered me a job there and then, and I said I’d love to but first I need to check for a room.


Side note: For those who don't know I've started filming vlogs, my first two are up and I'm working on the next couple. I won't be putting updates on this when they go up, but you can subscribe to my channel here;
http://www.youtube.com/user/CorduroyO8

1 comment: