Wednesday 11 May 2011

Catching up


So as most of you know, I found both an apartment and a job. I’m in Nonthaburi, which is basically a part of Bangkok. If you have seen the vlog about it yet, check it out here; ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_VAs44gi1I ).

I love this place and I really feel at home. The area is great too, there are plenty of places to go out and eat, some good shops and plenty going on. I went out and bought a few home comforts, like bedding and my fridge is now stacked with plenty of water and fruit.

On Sunday night I went out looking for somewhere to eat, and walked past a family eating their dinner. They started talking to me, asking me where I was from and practising their English. When they asked me where I was going I just said I was looking for somewhere to eat, and insisted I joined them. I sat down and ate. They were very friendly and chatty.
Just before the night ended they pointed out an elephant. I couldn’t see it myself, but I headed on down the road and there it was, just walking down the street on the opposite side! It was walking towards the family and where I had been eating, I followed it, filming it and trying to take pictures. The family called it over, and over it came. We all started feeding it and it was so much fun!


The next morning was the first day of school. I arrived nice and early and went through the market to find something to eat for breakfast. I had some fish, rice and fruit and a watermelon slush puppy type thing. At school it turned out it was the first day for everyone as it was a new year.
I spent the whole day working with the kindergarteners. Some of them were very upset to be left by their parents for the first time.
It turned out it was just a half day for the students, but the teachers stayed until four. All this week is half days. Not too bad really.

Over the next couple of days I continued to work with the kindergartners but I have been slowly introduced to the other classes for 15/20 minutes at a time. In the evenings I’ve been exploring the area a bit more each night and trying to fix my broken laptop. I think it’s a hardware problem as well as a software problem because it doesn’t boot properly and I have to run the boot options to get it to start.

For dinners I buy in food at the market near school. It’s so cheap and I can get enough food for a dinner, plus something for a small snack later in the evening, with drinks for about £1.

My laptop has been playing up really badly lately, if you haven't got me on facebook and haven't seen the pictures, here's a link (putting them on here is too difficult with my laptop at the moment!)
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150186617733470.328195.620438469&l=a1a79b35e1

No comments:

Post a Comment